Part 1: Not so Obvious Causes of Acne
1. Cleansing: It is common to either over cleanse or not cleanse often enough. A good skin care regime should consist of cleansing, toning, and moisturizing twice a day. This routine is recommended to be done once in the morning and once in the evening. If there is a skin issue such as breakouts or acne, it is a typical urge to want to cleanse more than twice a day. Over cleansing strips the skin of its natural oils. This impairs the outer layer of the skin and tricks the skin into thinking it needs to produce more oil in return. If you are already shiny, the excess oil is not helping your acne. Not cleansing the skin often enough is equally as damaging. Oil, sweat, sebum, dead skin cell build up, and daily environmental factors sit on the skin and need to be cleansed to keep the pores clean. Cleansing twice daily with a gentle cleanser is key to maintaining healthy skin. Refresh offers three very gentle yet effect cleansers. All three of the cleansers can be used for any skin type, but ideally the grapefruit or lavender crème cleanser are best for acne prone skin. If you are currently broken out, I would suggest the grapefruit crème cleanser until the acne clears. Then you may wish to switch to the lavender crème cleanser. Any of the cleansers would be very beneficial in improving skin clarity, tone, texture, and condition. The best part about them is they are 100 percent organic, without any icky ingredients. They will not irritate or strip the skin.
2. Product Choice and Usage: It is important to use the appropriate products for your skin type. If you tend to break out this is crucial. Each product used either irritates or improves the skin texture, tone, and health tremendously. It is not uncommon for a person with acne to have either sensitive or sensitized skin. If this is the case, I would recommend using a majority of products aimed to treat sensitive skin. Doing this assures that the skin does not get damaged from the harsh side effects of most acne clearing products on the market. Incorporating an acne clearing spot treatment daily, such as starflower essentials acne clear sold at Refresh is a great way to treat your acne, while also maintaining optimal skin health. Acne clear can be a moisturizer or spot treatment that heals blemishes without over drying the skin. The products designed to clear skin can be extremely aggressive. Refresh uses only the best results oriented and natural skincare. Products that suit all skin types and provide the same results without the harsh side effects of some ingredients used by those less aware of the natural counterpart. I would only recommend using an entire acne line if you are young, have cystic acne, oily, and absolutely NOT sensitive. Refresh retails products that can be customized to meet all of your skins needs. One size does not fit all. Acne is not a skin type, it is a skin condition. Sensitive is a skin type where as sensitized is a condition caused by things like over exfoliation or harsh products. There are many factors to consider when choosing facial products. I recommend getting a professional evaluation from a licensed esthetician. A skin analysis or consultation is usually complimentary and requires no commitment other than your time. It is simply an opportunity to learn about your skin type and receive guidance on product selection. Ingredients to look for or avoid may be revealed as well as a potential treatment options- if that is something you desire. I would absolutely take advantage of the opportunity to sit with a professional and gain this insight. Google, you-tubers, and pintrest did not go to school for esthetics! Get a professional evaluation. Refresh offers complimentary consultations where we will have time to sit down and talk about your skin, possible product suggestion, treatment recommendations, and is also an excellent opportunity for you to voice questions or concerns. I recommend using professional skin care lines without perfume. I would avoid over-the-counter anything on your face if you are prone to breakout. A quality skincare product is an investment in you and your skin. If you want to make a good investment, get a consultation first. You can get a consultation, treatment, and home care regime all in a visit to Refresh. We can start you on your journey to healing!
3. Makeup: Sleeping in your makeup is never a good idea. It’s so horrible for the skin!! Clearing blemishes and treating acne require commitment. It’s about creating healthy habits. The makeup you choose can also be causing or escalating your blemishes. Ideally the skin should breath as much as possible without any foundation. Personally speaking: When my face is broken out the urge to cover it is very strong! I also know that if I’m willing to refrain from wearing makeup as much as possible my skin will clear faster and stay clear. It’s a vicious cycle of wanting to hide my blemish, yet I know it will heal better without all the extra junk. I try to go bare as much as possible. It has been a process for a makeup person like myself. I started by going makeup free on days off, at the end of my work day, and while I slept. I also found that in leu of caking my face with makeup I could simply use a little concealer to cover a blemish. I know certain brands do cause me to break out. I would recommend avoiding big makeup stores if you break out easily and enjoy makeup. If you have skin problems like myself, it is crucial to pay extra attention to the makeup you’re using. Two lines I find to be harmless for anyone that struggles with acne are Jane Irdale and Dr.Hauska.
4. Caffeine & Alcohol Intake: Both caffeine and alcohol dehydrate the skin. The skin is our largest organ and the last to receive water. Excessive amounts of caffeine and alcohol dull the skins appearance, exacerbate signs of aging, and keep those blemishes right there on the face. If you are struggling to keep your skin clear and like to drink caffeine or alcohol, try alternating water in between drinks to help you stay hydrated. Hot water or room temperature is best.
5. Popping Pimples: I believe there are two types of people- Those who can’t resist popping any pimple in their sight (including their husband, friend, sister, or total stranger!) OR those who can allow the cycle of a zit run its course without even thinking otherwise. Popping pimples and picking at your skin leaves scarring. Cystic acne is known to scar. If you pick at your blemish, you can guarantee having to deal with acne scars once the actual acne clears. Touching your face to pop a pimple will spread bacteria from your hands and finger nails. If the pimple is cystic, it can push the bacteria from the cyst beneath the top skin layer. If this happens another pimple or two will surface right near the original one. Professional extractions consist of the skin being treated pre and post, with clean hands, tissue, gloves, sometimes a tool and are done in a way that will not scar, spread, or irritate. Always refrain from picking at that pimple on your face! Refresh offers two mini facials: an express organic facial and a clear skin & blemish control targeted treatment. Either service can be customized to include or add professional extractions if you want a quick pore cleanse
Did you know that there is a profound difference between Organic Food-grade ingredients and cosmetic-grade cosmeceuticals?
Organically grown plants and oils, processed for food consumption, are holistic by nature. The minimal processing of organic materials allows their substance integrity (literally, "the heart of the matter") to remain intact and purely vital. These protected ingredients not only absorb better, but are more successful at nourishing the skin than cosmetic-grade ingredients. The molecular structure of these plants and minerals have not been disturbed and hardened through high-temperature refining, bleaching, decolorization, standardization and other processes. Pure ingredients make for superior skin care products and elevated products lead to healthier skin!
When I was planning the launch of my private practice Refresh, I took a lot of time and consideration when deciding which products. I wanted to make sure the product I offer my clients for both treatment and home care would align with the values I hold for my own life. By choosing Star Flower Skin Care, I am confident in the decision to use the finest, locally sourced natural products available. Star Flower products are so much more than natural! They are food grade, holistic skin nutrition products. Food grade is one of the highest classifications for organic products - it acknowledges that the purity of their ingredients are so healthful, they could literally be eaten!
Most other skin care products found in spas and for home use are "cosmetic grade". Of course, we aren’t recommending that you eat Star Flower products as a snack! But just take a moment with this thought: Isn't it better to use products on your living, breathing skin that you could eat, rather than products that could make you sick if you ate them? Your skin is alive! It needs natural cleaning, conditioning, repair and maintenance. Many cosmetic-grade ingredients undergo a long list of vitality-stripping processes. This kind of processing results in an altered, less healthful substance that is not optimal for the skin.
Here at Refresh we use these products to assure skin vitality and natural beauty! At the heart, these products are rare extracts of organically grown or wild-crafted medicinal plants. Food-grade plant oils, waxes, flower waters, aloe vera, specifically chosen essential oils and a myriad of other healing ingredients. Their formulas are produced in small, frequent batches to deliver potency and freshness to you, the conscious consumer, whose skin knows and shows the difference! I am proud to offer my clients this elevated experience, they deserve it and so do you!
I’m excited to be able to share personal experiences, professional opinions, details about my practice, and other thoughts about me, my business, my personal skincare journey, my preferences and opinions regarding skincare and wellness!
I have invested in a new device that entails ultrasonic, galvanic, micro current, and LED/DPL. With this advanced technology, I have added TWO NEW SPECIALTY TREATMENTS to my service menu! The MIGHTY MINI and CLEAR SKIN & BLEMISH CONTROL TARGETED TREATMENT. These targeted treatments are effective in correcting specific concerns such as: acne, scarring, hyper-pigmented, hypo-pigmented skin or the markings of mature skin. With a shorter, 30 min treatment time, they are designed for frequent or even regularly scheduled treatments. If you are ready to commit to improving you skin, so am I! I’m currently offering $10 off your first targeted treatment session!
Refresh is still doing a Spring Egg Special! If you receive a service during the month of April, you can pick a spring egg that will include a surprise! Each egg will include either a discount, add on or free service to be used at your next visit!
Know anyone who could benefit from custom organic skin care? Send them along! Refresh is currently accepting new clients! Specifically, I am looking forward to working with more people who are seeking to clear up their skin due to acne and/or breakouts. I personally have struggled a lot with acne, and my heart truly goes out to anyone who is currently struggling. My hope is that this blog will host an acne-related serious to explain and inform my clients. My heart and passion for skin care started with my own acne journey and I hope to help others!
Call, text or email me to secure your April session and take advantage of these special offers!